Sunday, March 11, 2012

Berlin, Dresden, and a visit from Peter!

I have not been great at the upkeep of this blog, which I guess is a good thing if you consider it an indicator that I've been keeping myself busy. I'll try to stick with the interesting stuff and jump straight into my first trip to Germany! On March 2nd, we left on a bus to Berlin. Upon arrival, we stopped at a burger place on the way to our hostel called Burgermeister that I had read about. I had been craving a good burger and this place is supposed to have some really great, cheap ones. It is in a tiny little stall under some metro tracks with barely enough room to stand and eat. But it was the perfect welcome to Germany. We stayed at Plus Hostel and I wouldn't call it my favorite. It was huge and loud most of the night. The first day in Berlin, we went to all the main sightseeing stuff- Brandenburg Gate, the Holocaust Memorial, Tiergarten, Checkpoint Charlie. That night we met one of my friend's friends who are studying in Berlin. They took us around the city a bit and had a drink with us.

Brandenburg Gate


We started the next morning by walking along the East Side Gallery which happened to be a short walk from our hostel. The Gallery is a remainder of the Berlin wall painted by artists from all over the world. Speaking of, Berlin has the best street art I've ever seen. We saw a lot of it when we took an alternative tour later that day. Our tour guide showed us great graffiti, artist hangouts, and we learned a lot about the underground culture of Berlin as well as the history of the city. It was a really good tour and I'm glad we did it. That afternoon we strolled through a street market and then met the group for some good German food. I had the best sausage and sauerkraut.

East Side Gallery

East Side Gallery

We woke up early the next morning and headed to Dresden. I've never heard much about Dresden besides that it was destroyed by the allies in WWII. I was not prepared for how beautiful this city was. We were able to walk everywhere efficiently with the short day we had. The city center is home to gorgeous churches, an opera house, and many old palaces turned museums. I could have wandered there for days. Our hostel was in a really cool neighborhood with lots of young people and hip shops (also the highest birth rate in all of Europe according to the internet!). We left Dresden the next morning and headed back to Prague.

Dresden
Dresden

From the bus station in Prague I went straight to the airport to pick up Peter who flew over to spend his spring break with me!! I can't describe how torturous it was watching every person come out of that terminal and waiting for one of them to be him or how wonderful it was to finally hug him. Throughout the week we visited all the must see sights of Prague- Old Town, Charles Bridge, The Castle, Vysehrad, The Dancing House, Petrin Hill, Wenceslas Square, etc. We went to a different bar every night. We saw a documentary about Chernobyl at the Jeden Svet (One World) Film Festival. We went to a club. We ate a lot of pastries. He ate a lot of fried cheese. It was one of the best weeks of my life and I feel so lucky to have been able to see him in the middle of these four months (and to have the most wonderful boyfriend to exist).



This week I'll be busy studying for midterms but I leave for Istanbul Friday! From there I'll be in Athens for a couple days then I'll fly to Amsterdam to tour Belgium and the Netherlands with my mom, stepdad, and grandparents! How lucky can a girl get?

No comments:

Post a Comment