Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fare Thee Well and Forget Me Not

Tomorrow marks the beginning of the biggest adventure of my life to date. Until now, studying abroad for four months has been an exciting and distant thought. But it has fast approached and the past few days of saying goodbye's, or rather, see you later's, have been harder than expected. The friends I've made in Chicago over the past year and a half are some of the greatest people I've ever met. And my friends and family at home have been the best support system I could ask for. This trip has already made me more grateful for the people in my life and I haven't even left the country yet. As much as I know I will miss everyone, I can't wait to meet the people I'll be living and traveling and studying with in Prague. I am excited to open myself up to every adventure and experience waiting there.

My flight doesn't leave Chicago until Friday morning, but tomorrow I'll head up with my mom and stepdad to meet my boyfriend for a nice dinner and then stay in a hotel near O'Hare. I'll fly to Frankfurt and from there transfer to Prague, the Mistress of Bohemia. And from there, adventure awaits.

I will conclude this post with two beautiful poems by Czech writer, Rainer Maria Rilke. The first, important because I know my heart will grow used to its farthest spaces in the perfect terror of the unknown and because I know that is the only way to grow. 


Ignorant Before the Heavens of My Life
Ignorant before the heavens of my life,
I stand and gaze in wonder. Oh the vastness
of the stars. Their rising and descent. How still.
As if I didn't exist. Do I have any
share in this? Have I somehow dispensed with
their pure effect? Does my blood's ebb and flow
change with their changes? Let me put aside
every desire, every relationship
except this one, so that my heart grows used to
its farthest spaces. Better that it live
fully aware, in the terror of its stars, than
as if protected, soothed by what is near. 



The second, an inspiration to overcome anything in the way of wonder.


As Once the Winged Energy of Delight

As once the winged energy of delight
carried you over childhood's dark abysses,
now beyond your own life build the great
arch of unimagined bridges.

Wonders happen if we can succeed
in passing through the harshest danger;
but only in a bright and purely granted
achievement can we realize the wonder.

To work with Things in the indescribable
relationship is not too hard for us;
the pattern grows more intricate and subtle,
and being swept along is not enough.

Take your practiced powers and stretch them out
until they span the chasm between two
contradictions... For the god
wants to know himself in you.




dobrou noc!

1 comment:

  1. Embrace it Hannah.. This is nothing short of amazing. You will make memories you will hold dear for the rest of your life. Embark with your arms open wide!!! Good luck girl :)

    ReplyDelete