Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cincinnati to Kansas City


My post-christmas trip to Cincinnati to visit my boyfriend and meet his parents resulted in a whole lot of wonderful anti productivity as laying in bed and watching movies took up a majority of our time. But I did learn some crucial Polish phrases from his family, namely "I love cereal," and "Please buy me these shoes."And I finally tried Skyline Chili and Graeter's Ice Cream, both of which my friends at school haven't stopped talking about since I met them (Why are so many of my friends from Cincinnati?). I am hoping my exposure to Peter and his family speaking Polish will help me a little when I get to the Czech Republic in two weeks. Learning Polish with him is a lot more fun than teaching myself a different Slovak language so I'm just hoping the alphabet and sounds will help me out once I'm in Prague.

From Cincinnati I drove home for a couple days then headed to Kansas City with my mom for a work trip- she works, and I entertain myself around the city. I downloaded some Intelligence squared debates to listen to during my 20+ hours of driving over the past two weeks, which I highly recommend. Here's the website.They have some good podcasts on iTunes too if you ever feel like being productive while driving. 

The first night in Kansas City, my mom and I had dinner with one of her friends on the Plaza. One of the things KC is most famous for are the lights on the Plaza during the holidays. I hadn't seen them before and they didn't disappoint. Every building is lined meticulously with thousands of lights. The Plaza really is a beautiful place to visit, I'm always happy to keep my mom company on these trips.



My mom and her coworkers finally took me to The Peanut, the oldest, divest bar in Kansas City for some beer and hot wings the next night. And they weren't kidding when they told me they are the best hot wings they've ever had. The room was just a small square, with all kinds of KC relics on the wall and so crowded. I can't believe it's taken this many trips to KC to finally visit this bar. 

Now that I'm back from Kansas City it's time to start packing. And the more I look at the suitcase and carry-on I have to live out of for four months, the better at procrastinating I become. There really isn't too much to do before I leave, but I feel like I'm so unprepared. I just want to get there and get started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment