Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rough Night

I know I wrote a short blog post earlier today but seeing as I can't sleep and I'm feeling quite overwhelmed from the rest of my day, I thought I'd vent by writing another. It's been a rough night. After we arrived, I showered and took a quick nap, only to awake to find a whole slew of tiny black bugs crawling around under my pillow and blankets. I asked the front desk if they could switch my room; they said they wouldn't be able to until tomorrow morning but they'd change the sheets for me. Then I met the rest of the group for dinner. We walked through Old Town square and lots of small side streets lined with shops and cafes. The spires of Prague Castle were lit up yellow against the dark sky. We ate at a nondescript cafe/bar in the corner of a walkway off of the square. They had a buffet style dinner set up for us payed for by USAC. After dinner, the staff led us on another short walk to Wenceslas Square, a center for shopping and nightlife. The activities director of our program offered to show whoever was interested to a 90's disco bar. Most people opted out, everyone was so tired from the trip. I took note of where it was though so I could check it out another time. We all split up and wondered around on their own, finding pubs or food. Lauren and I ventured back to the apartments to find a local pub around home. We succeeded (in both finding our way home on the tram and finding a bar), and local it was. Everyone stopped mid conversation and stared at us when we walked in. We tried to order a couple of beers but the bartender didn't speak any English. A man standing at the bar heard us and had to help because he was the only person who spoke English. I couldn't help feeling like they were mocking us the whole time. The crowd was a little intimidating but we felt accomplished. Upon my return to the hotel, I found more bedbugs after the sheet change. So I packed a bag of stuff and headed to Lauren's apartment down the street to sleep on her futon for the night, or maybe the next few, depending on when they can get me a new room. I'm sitting in her room now and I've already tried to fall asleep once. It's about 3 am here and I should be much more tired than I am. But my mind is racing and I can't turn it off. Thinking back four months ago until now and then thinking about spending that same amount of time in this strange place is really making my stomach and throat hurt. I hope this gets easier. I'm sure once I move into my apartment and hopefully get out of any bug infested beds I'll be more comfortable.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you every minute! I hate that you have this start to an amazing adventure. It can only get better, I love you!

    ReplyDelete